Beyond the Classroom
We have a wide range of clubs for all students to enjoy New Line Learning Academy, including sport, languages, music and performing arts. A homework club also runs each week for every year group to offer additional support to students.
To register your interest for after school clubs, click here.
A variety of educational trips run throughout the year, including a range of international and national residential opportunities. Previous visits have included trips to New York, Austria and expeditions to China. In recent years, Year 7 students have been given the opportunity to participate in a residential visit at Kingswood Adventure Centre, where they take part in fun, team-building activities.
We have an outstanding six-court sports hall, a multi-use games area and spacious playing fields for students to enjoy. There is an abundance of sporting clubs to join such as football, rugby, basketball and athletics. Students also compete in a range of tournaments at local and county level.
Our thriving Performing Arts department runs an extensive after-school programme. All students are invited to take part in our programme of annual productions, including a Christmas pantomime, school musicals and dance shows. Many of our shows are staged at the Hazlitt Theatre in Maidstone.
Duke of Edinburgh's Award
We are very excited to announce the launch of the DofE award at New Line Learning Academy.
Three Year Plan
2018-19 - Year 10 Bronze award
2019-20 - Year 9 & 10 Bronze award
2020-21 - Year 9 Bronze award & Year 10 Silver award
What’s DofE all about?
Doing a DofE programme is a real adventure from beginning to end. It allows you to develop additional skills, explore unfamiliar environments, and participate in new activities that lets you do something different, adventurous – and most of all it’s fun!
You choose what you are going to do, so your programme can be full of activities and projects that get you buzzing. Along the way you’ll pick up experiences, friends and talents that will stay with you for the rest of your life.
Better still, having a Duke of Edinburgh’s Award has been shown statistically to make people stand out from the crowd when it comes to job, college and university interviews! It gives you something to put on your CV & personal statements, lots to talk about at an interview and it also shows that you’ve developed many of the skills the interviewers are looking for.
What are the four sections?
- Volunteering: undertaking service to individuals or the community.
- Physical: improving in an area of sport, dance or fitness activities.
- Skills: developing practical and social skills and personal interests.
- Expedition: planning, training for and completion of an adventurous journey – including a practice & qualifying expedition. You will then do a group project / presentation to complete the section.
Timescales & Duration’s
- Volunteering (3 months)
- Physical (3 months)
- Skills (3 months)
- Expedition for 2 days and 1 night
*Plus a further 3 months in the Volunteering, Physical or Skills section*
- Volunteering (6 months)
- Physical (one section for 6 months and the other for 3 months)
- Skills (one section for 6 months and the other for 3 months)
- Expedition for 3 days and 2 nights
*Plus an extra 6 months in the Volunteering, or the longer of the Physical or Skills section if you haven't got Bronze*
- Volunteering (12 months)
- Physical (one section for 12 months and the other for 6 months)
- Skills (one section for 12 months and the other for 6 months)
- Expedition for 4 days and 3 nights
- Residential for 5 days and 4 nights
*Plus an extra 6 months in the Volunteering, or the longer of the Physical or Skills section if you haven't got Silver*
Summary of our Duke of Edinburgh’s Award at NLL
We provide the environment to nurture our students through this prestigious award. Our qualified staff are outstanding in delivering the necessary requirements for students to fully achieve their award at each level. We take pride in our students achieving their goals and ensure they reach their targets. We are really excited to be launching the DofE this year at New Line Learning Academy.
- Mr Cardwell – Centre Manager
- Mr Mannering- DofE Leader
- Mr Arnold- DofE Leader
- Miss Simpson- DofE Leader
- Miss Willoughby- DofE Leader
- Mr Minshull – DofE Verifier
To access the DofE online platform, please click here.